Monday, January 27, 2014

I Don't Know What's Wrong with These Kids!

My sister, who is in her late twenties just had a three day weekend off of work. Now it's not because it's something she planned or she had vacation days, it's not even because she was sick. She just felt like it. She took off Friday, okay, one day is not a big deal. But since her job gives you one paid sick day for every two you take, she decided to make a 'Buy One Get Two Free' thing out of it. The bad thing about it is that she's a member of management and her shift is basically a skeleton crew, so they really depend on her to be there. She hates her job with a passion, but is too lazy to do anything about it, so she just complains. You would think that having your car in the shop with a repair bill of $800 would be incentive to take your butt to work, but it isn't. She just doesn't care.

Heaven forbid the try to reprimand her for taking off three days. How dare they! She'd better get the schedule that she wants otherwise she's calling corporate because they're not treating her fairly. She fails to think about the people who had to scramble and cover for her when she decided to slack off.  It ain't her problem.

On the other hand, whenever I take a day off, I feel guilty, like I've committed a federal offense. Even when I have to take FMLA time for my mother, I feel like I should really be at work. I can't help it, it's just the way I am.

She's not the only in her age group I've noticed with these type of issues. I work with twenty somethings who share the same trifling streak. They take days off  just because the sun is shining or because it's paycheck Friday. When the company finally decides to fire them they're dumbfounded. There's no sense of responsibility  and I don't understand it. They're selfish and overly entitled. 

My job site bought new furniture for our new break room and it's a struggle because they want to lounge, put their dusty feet up and lie across the sofa like they're at home. The break room that our company created for us is slowly becoming a den for nastiness because they're too lazy to clean up after themselves. They don't respect themselves, therefore they don't respect anyone else.

One day I hope my sister comes to her senses and grows up. When you know better, you're supposed to do better. In the meantime I can rub in my mother's face that I'm the oldest, therefore the original, perfect copy. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment